Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tomato Gravy-for my girls

One of the brats has gotten together with one of the other brats and requested that I post my recipe for tomato gravy on the blog.
I guess that is better than writing it down and 'someone' losing it. (you know who you are)
It's all very simple and when I tell you your gonna go "ah hell that's so simple"

I warn you I can only make this in large amounts but it shouldn't be hard to adjust for a smaller meal once you have the hang of it.


Tomato Gravy
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (if your not lucky enough to pull up at mom's house with your little basket in tow to pick your own;0)
1 package of bacon
1 large onion
Milk ( don't ask how much, you'll see if you keep reading )

Dice your onion and sauté it with your bacon until the onions are almost clear. Or until you have enough grease floating around in the pot to flavor up the tomato gravy really good.

Pour the can of tomatoes into the pot with the bacon and onions and cook on medium till the tomatoes have cooked down a bit. Stirring occasionally
Hint: the longer and slower they cook the better they will taste. I have been known to slow cook my tomatoes for four or five hours, or cook the whole meal in about an hour.

Add milk, I don't measure so all I can tell you is I add milk until it turns a little orange. Fresh tomatoes will be lighter with the milk than canned.

Simmer just a little while longer to get the milk flavor settled in.
Hint: if you want your gravy thicker, thicken with flour and water. We like ours somewhere between soup and gravy.

Serve over home made(yeah I went there) biscuits or rice.

That's it! Simple simple and I better get some great big "I tried this and it was great! Mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment