Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Broccoli Soup: one for the girls

This request was put in before we went on vacation, why that crazy kid thought I had time to sit down and add something to the blog BEFORE vacation, I don't know.
But we love her anyway, and here is her recipe.

One bag frozen broccoli, (once again, if you can't make it to the garden)
One can evaporated milk
Butter
Milk (...were you thinking to ask me how much?)

Take a stick of butter and your bag of frozen broccoli and slow cook it in a heavy medium sized pot until the broccoli is soft. (here is personal preference, I like my broccoli almost mushy, so that you get smaller pieces in the soup)

Add the can of evaporated milk, and at least one can of whole (2%, low fat, whatever) milk.
I add enough whole milk to fill my pot up the rest of the way.
The whole point is, you need at least as much whole milk as evaporated, or your gonna end up running to the rest room all night long. (just a little side note) ;0)

Heat to just before boiling, stirring constantly or your milk will clabber (yes that's a real word, and you know what I mean ;0)

Thicken with a mixture of hot water and flour to desired consistency.
Some people don't even thicken theirs and eat it like it is, I like mine in between Golden Corral and T&A truck stop consistency.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Another side note, if you do happen to like the Golden Corral version, add shredded cheddar cheese after it is ready.

And if you are making this for my grandbrats, don't forget the grilled cheese sammiches to dip in there!




No comments:

Post a Comment