Monday, December 30, 2013

Clam Crabmeat Cream Cheese Soup

This is one of my favorite recipes on the internet
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/10/cream-cheese-chicken-and-vegetable-soup.html
Every time I have cooked it tho, we have always thought it would be perfect for clam chowder. So this is how I converted it for clams and crabmeat. 

You know how I am with my recipes so try and follow along.

2 15oz cans of clams
2tbls butter
I small onion
3 or 4 small red potatoes unpeeled and diced
1 cup milk
4 tbls flour 
3 cups clam juice (which I just found out you can actually purchase at Walmart) 
1 small can lump crab meat 
1 package Philly Cream Cheese softened



Melt butter and sautée your onions till they are starting to turn clear. I added my clams and crabmeat just before the onions were ready and dropped in a half a teaspoon of minced garlic ( that's just an option) I will never be bitten by a vampire, I love garlic too much ;0)
Pour in the clam juice and potatoes and let slow boil for about twelve or thirteen minutes
Whisk your flour into the milk until mixed well and then whisk slowly into your soup. Whisk the whole time while pouring really slow and you shouldn't have any lumps. 
When the soup starts to thicken I turn it off then add cubed cream cheese 
Stir it all until it is creamy smooth. 
Salt and pepper to taste.

It actually came out wicked good! The cream cheese makes it so much more creamier.
I was thinking this would be perfect to go in those huge bread bowls you can get at Wally World. Yeah, I think we will try it that way next time. 
Let me know if you try it.
And you really should try the chicken vegetable soup, it is AWESOME! 


No comments:

Post a Comment