Monday, December 15, 2014

A move from social media

I was driving into work this morning listening to Elvis Duran and The Morning Show and one of the guys on the show, Scary Jones, was talking about how obsessed he was with his social media apps. His point was that he was so obsessed with constantly checking Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and quite a few other social media apps that he had blown away most of his Sunday on his phone.
This got me to thinking. (now that's Scary)
As much as I love staying in touch with my friends and family that I don't get to see too much, I also spend way too much of my time surfing, posting and tweeting.
Too many selfies, too many bitches and whines on facebook. And trust me I am one of the world's worst. Like my opinion mattered so much that it was worth posting on a social media website, marking it public, to make sure everyone could see the wonderful and insightful thoughts bouncing around in my brain.
And the more people that 'like' my status, the more validated I felt, empowered, like maybe my opinion really does matter. I'm making a difference! Changing the world! Everyone is starting to realize how smart and witty I am! Pretty soon they will vote me President of the Social Media Network!!!
Yeah
NO
Stop it!

Some of the best days I have relaxing are when we go to the hunting camp.
No internet, no cable t.v. hell half the time you can't even get a signal to make a stupid phone call.
But it is awesome! Everyone knows I am where I can't be reached and besides the kids or my BFF that I talk to when I can get a signal, everyone else leaves me alone.
Because I can't post up there, there is no constant checking to see how many likes I have, or tags in a post, or comments on my status or updates or notifications or pictures.......
Though it is an obsession I created for myself, it is all very tiring.

You know that feeling when you comment along with ten other people on someone's post and they reply to everyone's comments but yours.
You're crushed, you feel left out, then you get mad, and yes sometimes go as far as, heaven forbid, unfriending them!
That's another thing about Facebook, jeeze louise, don't unfriend anyone, they have a beacon, an algorithm written that sends red flashing lights to them, and before you can surf to another page, THEY KNOW. They are pm'ing you mad at you, telling you how much they never really did like you anyway.
Honestly I think they just get mad because you did it first.

Don't get me wrong, I like Facebook and Twitter and Instagram. I just think I need to cut back. Look up more. Notice what's going on around me instead of around the twittersphere.

Maybe the blog will get a little much needed attention. ;0)









No comments:

Post a Comment