Monday, March 23, 2015

365.40 How I am handling the transition period.

Last week I posted about jumping on the no poo bandwagon ( I've been jumping on a lot of those here lately haven't I?)and stopping the shampoo and hair stuffs altogether. 

This wasn't a hard thing for me because I only shampooed every three or four days anyway. I don't dye, perm or otherwise mess with my hair much more than shampoo, conditioner and, about when the mood hits me, a flat iron. 
I had already decided to only iron my hair straight every blue moon or so simply because my hair was just too dry and brittle, no matter how cheap or expensive the products I was using were. 

I had already seen a change in my hair for a little over a year as I slowly push closer and closer to fifty. And the iron wasn't helping at all. So I decided that would be for special occasions only. 

So it's been five days since I've done anything more than baking soda in my hair. And I am giving that up for water only. The baking soda makes my scalp feel better but the rest of my hair is like  " why don't you just use the blow dryer and the iron at the same time, you'll get the same results" that's when I opted for water only. I will probably do the BS once a month just for deodorizing and deep cleaning purposes. I don't know, we will see when we get there. 

I am now in that "transition" stage (I hope it's just a stage) so this is how I'm handling that 

 

Luckily when I was younger I had a friend who taught me how to french braid brat #1's hair. 
It doesn't look too bad.
Yes it's a sloppy braid, but I like it that way for everyday wear. I do underhand when I need to dress it up a bit. 

A lot of people I've read about have gained waves and curls after going no poo, I am assuming because the weight and coatings are not pulling the hair down anymore. And most won't admit it, but come on ladies, we have all known our hair was easier to style when it was, what we were taught to think, dirty.
I have ringlet curls when my hair is short, I'm hoping doing away with the heavy soaps and conditioners will help me have a little curl while its long. 
We shall see! 
I did break down and buy myself a boars bristle brush to help spread the love around my head.

You know when you think about it, it makes plenty of sense. 
Back in the day folks didn't wash their hair everyday. Even now some of the older generation only wash their hair once a week. And I've never smelled one or seen someone and thought,"Omgosh that person doesn't wash their hair"

I don't care about the science of it all, I am not doing it to save waste in a landfill ( sorry my friendly tree hungers) for me it's all about wanting my hair to look good with as little fuss as possible. ( yes, I'm that damn basic) 
See ya nerds!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment